Alberta Marriage Laws

"With proper documentation, couples can obtain a licence and
marry on the same day."

The bride and groom must present the following information to obtain a Marriage Licence.

  • Proof of identification

  • Parent’s birthplace and names, including the mother’s maiden name

  • If applicable, final divorce papers

Please refer to the Government of Alberta Vital Statistics website for specific details.

For a marriage to be legally recognized, couples should be aware of the following:

  • Prior to the marriage ceremony, couples must provide the licence to the Marriage Commissioner. The licence will not be returned to the couple.

  • Couples receive a Marriage Statement certificate upon completion of the ceremony. This is not a legal document.

  • Couples must apply to the Alberta Vital Statistics Registry to acquire an official Certificate of Marriage.

Note: In Alberta, an Alberta Marriage Commissioner conducts civil wedding ceremonies. Marriage Commissioners are appointed by the Alberta government; however, they are not salaried employees nor are they subsidized in any way. In other parts of the world, this person may be called a Celebrant, a Justice of the Peace, a JP, or an Officiant. Ministers, priests, rabbis, or another clergy member performs religious ceremonies.